Recent comments

• Steamboat at the Sagamore Hotel: 1904   4 years 15 weeks ago

That ship is the Lake George Steamboat Company's Mohican I. It was replaced later that decade by the Mohican II, which still sails on the lake.

• Fugitive Slaves Fording the Rappahannock: 1862   4 years 32 weeks ago

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting!
    Carry on the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my site.

• Sings and Sells His Own Songs: 1929   4 years 46 weeks ago

This the family of Farrar and June Burn.. Sons are North and South (Bob) Burn.. A fascinating life they had. Find them on Google, and, youre welcome...

• Wooden Maiden, British Torture Device: 1910s   4 years 50 weeks ago

British has dumped its trash on other nations, has given what doesnt belong to them to other and in the present era continues torture

• Pistols and Pages: 1937   4 years 51 weeks ago

The next door neighbor, R. Beresford, Printer, was at 523 7th Street, which is near D Street, NW. Since the picture was taken in November 1937 I was just two years old.

Chuck

• Pistols and Pages: 1937   4 years 51 weeks ago
    Dad

You have posted a photograph of my father, Harry C. Feldstone. I was 1 or 2 years old at the time. I wonder where the information about the address came from. As far as I know his store was on D Street near 7th (NW).

Shortly after the photograph was taken our family moved to a store and apartment on Wisconsin Ave. Several years later dad purchase another building on Wisconsin where he stayed (apartment above the store) until he died in 1951.

Charles,

We got the address from here: http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~reedsj/codebooks.txt.

But I think you might be right about the address of this photo. It appears as though there is a number on the door where he is standing indicating 667 or 607.

Jiggsy

• Midshipmen Hurdles: 1901   5 years 1 day ago

Hey there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this website.

• Armed to the Teeth: 1940s   5 years 26 weeks ago

Believe you are correct...and it looks like Australian (Commonwealth) insignia.

• Frederick Douglass Launch: 1943   5 years 27 weeks ago

I'm guessing she's probably Douglass' great-grandaughter. The Shomberg has another picture of this event with her standing next to Frederick Douglas III and she looks a lot like him, so could be his daughter.

• Creamery Truck: 1935   5 years 28 weeks ago

The actual building of the United Farmers is now the new location of Mt. Mansfield Creamery....the cheese rooom is upstairs in the facility and the basement houses a state of the art cheese aging cave built by Jeff Emerson.

• Gallaudet Football: 1923   5 years 50 weeks ago

One of these men are john mcretton

• Mardi Gras: 1900   6 years 3 weeks ago

Looks like Krew of Rex going down Canal St.

• Farmerettes Sell WW1 Bonds: 1910s   6 years 5 weeks ago

Hi--
    Thought you'd like to know that this photo is of the Farmerettes of the Woman's Land Army of America marching in the Liberty Loan Parade in NYC in October 1918.
    The full story of the Farmerettes--including this photo--is told in "Fruits of Victory: The Woman's Land Army in the Great War" by Elaine Weiss.
    see www.fruitsofvictorybook.com

• Los Angeles Bather: early 1900s   6 years 9 weeks ago

I looked at this and saw on the left side "costumes Schlank". Bess Schlank was a designer in LA.
    This seems to be prep for a shoot of some kind.
    It is wonderful!
    Best

• Fish Hat: 1914   6 years 12 weeks ago

It just looks like a fish, but it's not. The angle of the photographer is causing an illusion.

• Ship Creek, Alaska: early 1900s   6 years 14 weeks ago

My great uncle was a photographer in Alaska in the early 1900's. Possibly 1906-1915. His photo albums were stolen in Canada and would like to see his work. Has anyone seen these albums or know of his work? Contact me at pcutler@centurytel.net Thank you.

• High Technology: 1940s   6 years 17 weeks ago

Best guess, she is calibrating a flux capacitor, or she is testing the tensile strength of a johnson rod.

[I don't think either of those is correct, but thanks for trying - Jiggsy]

• Creamery Truck: 1935   6 years 19 weeks ago

The United farmers Creamery was located in Morrisville Vermont About 10 miles Southeast of Johnson on Vt Route 15.

[ Thanks for the location update Randy - Jiggsy ]

• Armed to the Teeth: 1940s   6 years 37 weeks ago

It appears to be P-40E Kittyhawk.

• Fish Hat: 1914   6 years 39 weeks ago

Her costume is ala Isadora Duncan period...but I must say...the tail of her "hat" does not look like it is an original part of the photo....looks photoshopped... or added during the actual period of photo....please forgive me, if I am wrong....

[The fish hat is original to the photo as obtained from the Library of Congress. It is possible that it was added after the picture was taken. There is a type of photo postcard from the early 1900s called 'Exaggeration' where elements of the photo are added. Here is an example of one...Jiggsy]

• Family Road Trip: 1861   6 years 42 weeks ago

Are there any pictures of Thomas C. Rees of this outfit or documentation. He is my great great grandfather from Muscogee County, Ga.

[Sorry to say there is no way for us to know. We post all of the information we have with the photo. Perhaps someone will see this and be able to answer your question. - Jiggsy]

• Family Road Trip: 1861   6 years 43 weeks ago

I have never heard of women and children traveling with soldiers during the Civil War. I've seen lots of old pictures from the Civil War and I think this is the only one I've seen like this.

• Resignation: 1907   6 years 44 weeks ago

I think "defeat" describes the look on Chief American Horse's face much better than the word "resignation", don't you? That is one broken and beaten man sitting there. And he is thinking about the hundreds of men, women and children he reprensents, and what he is going to say to them when he returns home. He will stand before them as the big fire blazes after the feast, with all eyes gazing up at him, hoping for good news.He will have to tell them that the white man, once again, took it all. There is nothing left, and they will have to pack it all up and head even further north into the snow and winter chill they are not acclimated to. More children and old people will succumb to the elements, and more will starve. It is that or live on the barren reservation and die of whooping cough and small pox.
    He feels he has failed.

• Aviation Cadets, Corpus Christi: 1942   6 years 44 weeks ago

Exciting picture! Any more?

[Glad you like it.  Actually, yes there are more.  If you search 'Corpus Christi' you will see two other photos from the Naval Air Station at Corpus Christi already posted. We have quite a few more that will be published over the next few months. - Jiggsy]

• Ozark Mountain Farmeress: 1940   6 years 46 weeks ago

I find her attractive, despite the getup. Must be my blue collar genes talking.